Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Losing self doubts

As a small child, do you remember comparing your creations to others and judging yours as good or bad?  I think we were far less critical of ourselves as kids than we are now. I really don't recall ever thinking poorly of my work until I hit high school age. It used to all just flow so freely from me. None of that "OMG it sucks! I'm throwing this crap out! Why did I think that these colors would work? I hate it!" I have actually thrown work over the railing into a river.
I know one thing for sure, if it meets your standards, then it is good enough. It may not be the best work that you have ever done or will ever do, but you may be surprised at how many people love the work that you don't. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. So let them see it. Don't hide your work away from the world.
Maybe it was easier when you could show your family and teachers your work and they would tell you how beautiful that it was. Now you may get critiques and suggestions. Don't listen to the negativity that may come from within or without. Now the roll of the kindergarten teacher is for you to play.You must be
kind to yourself and not over critical.Start to think of your works as a gift to the world. Nurture your inner artist. Growth will come in leaps and bounds when you are free from the doubts. Love who you are and what you do.
How do you nurture your inner artist?


No comments:

Post a Comment